init of firewall

Anthony Christopher sart057 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 19:51:12 UTC 2009

Chris Mohler wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 1:30 PM, Anthony Christopher<sart057 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am new to this mailing list.
>>
>> I have a laptop  I use for surfing the internet and email that gets its IP
>> address from my ISP.
>> I am using ubuntu Intrepid with everything updated as of two days ago.
>> My iptables firewall script expects DNS to be available when it starts up.
>> Scheduling my firewall to init after NetworkManager fails.
>> My firewall script fails in such a way that internet connections fail
>> without the DNS information.
>> If I restart my firewall from a user terminal my firewall seems to configure
>> properly and I can surf the web and get my email.
>> After searching for possible solutions, I tried renaming my firewall script
>> to start with a 50 and putting it in /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d.
>> This also failed. I would like to be able to init my firewall without a
>> manual restart.
>>

> I'm guessing you have your own iptables script?  Try putting it in
> /etc/network/if-up.d/ (make sure it's executable).
>
> Chris

This fails in the same way that putting it in
/etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d fails, that is it does not configure my
iptables properly.  syslog shows an error for the first file listed in
dispatcher.d where it showed the same error previously, with the
firewall as the second file in dispatcher.d, but now the error is
associated with the first file instead of the second.

from syslog
Jul 29 12:14:41 princess nm-dispatcher.action: Script
'/etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/01ifupdown' exited with error status 1.