I've just Dist-Upgrade to kernel 2.6.28-14.How to get rid of previous kernels?

Markus Schönhaber ubuntu-users at list-post.mks-mail.de
Wed Jul 29 18:50:26 UTC 2009

Luis Maceira:
> I still have on my system kernel packages of linux-image-2.6.28-11 and
> linux-image-2.6.28-13,after dist-upgrade to linux-image-2.6.28-14.I do a
> dpkg --list "*linux-image*" and all three are installed.

I mostly do something like
dpkg -l '*2.6.28*'
because that will also list other kernel-related packages I want to get
rid of (restricted-modules for example).

> My new kernel
> works OK,so I do not need the previous kernels and kernerls associated
> packages.But when I try to uninstall them (and I use the correct names as
> output of dpkg --list) bash tells that they are not installed.
[...]
> So,how can I get rid of the previous kernels and associated packages?Are
> there any trick in ubuntu?

There should be no need for tricks. When I do something like
aptitude purge linux-image-2.6.28-11-generic ...
the packages are removed.
Maybe you should copy and paste the actual command you typed and the
resulting output here. Someone might be able to spot an error.

BTW: If you have bash-completion installed (should be by default on
desktop systems) pressing TAB should complete partly typed package names
which are given as parameters to apt-get/aptitude/... Useful for not
making typos.

--
Regards
  mks