Server stops responding

Hal Burgiss hal at burgiss.net
Wed Jul 29 13:54:02 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 2:23 PM, CLIFFORD
ILKAY<clifford_ilkay at dinamis.com> wrote:

> Looking at your URLs, I'm guessing you're probably running some sort of
> a database-backed CMS. If that is the case, I've seen similar problems
> many times, particularly when the database in question is MySQL.

The database server is on a separate physical machine, with a number
of other sites
connected, and no other problems.

> When troubleshooting such problems, it helps to have a root shell open
> to the remote machine. That way, you may be able to run "top" or "htop"
> just as things start to go awry. At the very least, you could initiate a
> restart from that shell so that you wouldn't have to power cycle the
> machine.

In theory this is good, but the quality of the connection from home causes the
connection to be reset periodically. The problem tends to not happen
during business
hours.

> It would also make your life easier ...

Yea.

After more closely examining the logs, another curiosity stands out.
On the last 2 occasions, an ip address from Zhengzhou China connected.
And within 2 mintues, in the crapper. During the time the machine was
unresponsive and no one else can connect, there is much errog.log
activity from the Chinese addresses (different ip each time, but both
from Zhengzhou). Weird co-incidence. Very weird.

--
Hal