Why is Synaptic version of Subversion not upgradeable?

Markus Schönhaber ubuntu-users at list-post.mks-mail.de
Tue Jul 28 23:20:43 UTC 2009

bill walton:

> On Tue, 2009-07-28 at 23:56 +0200, Markus Schönhaber wrote:
>> No, but for the vast majority of packages there will be no version
>> upgrades during the lifetime of a specific Ubuntu version in the "core"
>> repositories.
>
> How the hell is that any better than Windows?  You're saying that if the
> SVN team 'certified' v1.5 on Hardy LTS, the Ubuntu team would still
> require me to 'upgrade'?

No, I'm not saying that.
If you want to install Subversion 1.5 on Hardy, simply do it. I've
pointed out some methods how to.
And no, no-one I know of is "requiring" you to upgrade, probably not
even the "Ubuntu team" - whatever that may be.

>> If you don't want to build it yourself or find some third-party packe
>> source, you can either upgrade to Intrepid or enable the hardy-backports
>> repository.
>
> And spend days upgrading all the other packages on my system, and in the
> process breaking the apps I'm developing on the box, requiring still
> more of my time on unproductive, unpaid work.

I don't see why enabling hardy-backports would make you "spend days
upgrading all the other packages" on your system.
You can even install/upgrade a single package from the backports
repository if you want. There's an article in the community
documentation on help.ubuntu.com explaining two methods how to do this.

> Subversion is a core development tool.  This policy is BS.

If you don't like Ubuntu's package policy - fine. But there's no use in
whining about it. Simply chose a distribution with a more "fluid"
package policy that suits your needs better.

--
Regards
  mks