Mounting cifs shares using Samba 4?

R. A. Bilonick rab at consolidated.net
Tue Jul 21 17:43:12 UTC 2009

I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 and have Samba 4 installed. I'm trying to use
mount.cifs to mount a Windows share. This works fine on my laptop
running Fedora 8. It uses the mount.cifs command. But it seems with
Samba 4 installed in Ubuntu, there is no mount.cifs. If I try to mount
anything related to cifs (like smbfs, Smb4k, etc.), synaptic wants to
uninstall Samba 4 and install samba. (I have Samba 4 installed because I
want to use Evolution and the MAPI protocol.) If memory serves, it was
possible to have samba and Samba 4 both installed in Fedora. In summary,
how can I mount cifs shares?

Rick B.