Problems with ti_usb_3410_5052 kernel module.

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Mon Jul 27 21:12:42 UTC 2009

Matt Wiseman wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-07-27 at 12:51 -0600, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> > 	If you want to use Linux I suggest you buy the red hat version
> > they say works. As is usual they also specify a particular kernel!

Don't believe what Karl says - his advice is often wrong.

> Actually I didn't have much luck with redhat either, and I figured if
> I was going to have to shoe-horn in these drivers, may as well use
> ubuntu.  The device itself has a standard TTY connection in it after
> you load the ti_usb_3410_5052 module, my problem lies in ubuntu not

From your initial mail I saw that the ti_usb_3410_5052 module was
loaded. Did you load it manually? And there is a difference in the
module size between Ubuntu and Puppy, the Puppy module is nearly twice
as big as the Ubuntu module. Do you have the same Kernel version for
Puppy and Ubuntu?

There may be a problem with a missing udev rules file which prevents the
proper operation. You could compare the /etc/udev directories of Ubuntu
and Puppy.

Finally, I had a look at the driver from the multitech site. In the
readme file they write that they need a usb-serial.h file which they
claim is contained in the kernel source. However for the current Jaunty
kernel (and some older ones) that file doesn't exist. Maybe you should
contact their tech support like they suggest in the readme file.

Nils