Is this installation too big?

Steve yorvik.ubunto at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 27 20:35:16 UTC 2009

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 21:29:48 +0100, <pkaplan1 at comcast.net> wrote:

> I recently re-installed kubuntu 9.04 onto a drive with a 10Gb partition
> for / and a separate 100Gb partition for /home. Until this, I always
> used the 32-bit version, but decided to install the 64-bit version. The
> / partition has always been 3-4Gb, even with 9.04, but I surprised to
> see / is suddenly 8.6Gb.
>
> I can't imagine that the 64-bit version should be so much larger than
> the 32-bit version (largely the same apps), but I noticed that there is
> a 4.9 file called /proc/kcore. It seemed to appear after I installed the
> kde 4.3 RC3 packages (can't be certain), but I don't recall there is a
> similarly bloated file on another 4.3-RC3 machine. This file seems able
> to interfere with the system by eating space. Although I can delete the
> file if I boot from a CD, I can't delete while on the offending machine.
>
> Any ideas what the file is, why it's there, why its so big and how to
> get rid of it?
>
> Paul

What Is /proc/kcore?
None of the files in /proc are really there--they're all, "pretend,"
files made up by the kernel, to give you information about the system
and don't take up any hard disk space.

/proc/kcore is like an "alias" for the memory in your computer. Its
size is the same as the amount of RAM you have, and if you read it as
a file, the kernel does memory reads.

--
Steve