How to increase the number of keyboard mappings beyond four?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 27 15:59:18 UTC 2009

On 07/27/2009 08:24 AM, Avraham Hanadari wrote:
> Please forgive my duplicate posting. I thought perhaps the Subject
> heading on the original letter was unclear.
>
> Ubuntu by default limits the number of possible keyboard mappings to
> four. I'm a linguist and language hobbyist, and I really would like to
> have access to more. I just learned how to enable Chinese, using the
> SCIM input method. So, now I'm actually up to five. I'm sure there's a
> way to tweak some system file to increase the number.  There are many
> system files which contain the word "keyboard". Can anyone tell me which
> one I'd need to edit?
>
> Many thanks, Avraham

Probably because nobody knows? The first place that I'd check is
launchpad. But first you'd need to know which package is responsible; my
_guess_ is that these are the one's to try:

console-setup
http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/console-setup
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/console-setup
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/console-setup

scim
http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/scim
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/scim/+bugs
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/scim

Try posting the question in the answers section of either; if it's the
wrong package, then one of the dev/helpers can direct it to the right one.