VNC (Virtual Network Computing) Problem

Jay Ridgley jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Sun Jul 26 22:51:19 UTC 2009

Folks,

I tried several days ago to get an answer to my problem, however, I may
not have been explicit enough when describing my problem. I have
continued trying to get this thing figured out but as yet have not had
much success.

I originally installed VNC on two systems (target & local) both are
within the confines of my local network. I started things up and got
connected. Everything was working, I could see target's screen on local
and control that screen from local. I made the mistake of enabling full
screen (NOT A GOOD IDEA). I was unable to get out of it and panicked and
forced a reboot (ALSO NOT A GOOD IDEA).

Since that time I have been unable to get a connection made between the
two systems. I have read the documentation, searched the net and have
not been able determine what is the cause and how to fix it.

Get the following error message in a pop-up window on local:

  	Connection to host "target:5900" was closed.

This is what is going on at the time the message appears.

1. The GNOME Remote Desktop is invoked on target under System ->
Preferences -> Remote Desktop. This allows you to set your remote access
preferences. I have currently installed GNOME Remote Desktop 2.22.2 The
Remote server is named vino. It is running.

cdjsys at target:~$ ps -ef|grep vino
cdjsys    6331     1  0 15:14 ?     00:00:05 /usr/lib/vino/vino-server
--oaf-activate-iid=OAFIID:GNOME_RemoteDesktopServer --oaf-ior-fd=17
cdjsys at target:~$

2. I then start the viewer on localfrom Applications -> Internet ->
Remote Desktop Viewer. Which makes the connection and starts things up.
I have currently installed GNOME Remote Desktop Viewer 0.5.1 which
states that vinagre is a VNC Client for the GNOME Desktop.

The Remote Desktop Viewer screen asks for Machine and Port entries
provided are target and 5900(default) respectively.

It is when I press enter to connect to target that I get the error I
have mentioned.

I am running Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (Hardy) on both systems and both of them
have the latest updates from the repositories. I am using firestarter as
my firewall. I can SSH between the systems with no problems.

Can ANYONE offer a suggestion of what I might try in an attempt to solve
the problem?

Apologies for the log post, however, I hope to have provided enough
information this time.

Regards,
Jay
--