pine

Siggy Brentrup ubuntu at psycho.i21k.de
Sat Jul 25 22:57:20 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 23:14 +0100, Steve Flynn wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 10:59 PM, Karl F. Larsen<klarsen1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >        What is it you guys do not understand about automatic? I am set up just
> > like PGP said to do it. I deal with Banks I own part of, and they do not
> > complain at all. In fact they are amazed the free PGP works with their
> > $250.00 stuff.
>
> 250 dollars for a bank? That I sincerely doubt. I bought PGP for one
> of my AIX servers late last year. Cost just over 20k sterling.
> For a bank, assuming they aren't some sort of piss-pot American thing
> but a real European bank running an IBM mainframe I'd be looking at a
> lot more.
>
> Saying all of this, GPG and PGP are interchangable - either will work
> anyway. It'd be rather pointless if it wasn't that way.
>

> > ps: I do not see see any -- or even - in this message.
>
> I believe that'll be because you've never actually looked.
>
> I'll quote from the original source of this very email I'm replying to:
>
> > ps: I do not see see any -- or even - in this message.
> >

> > - --
> >
> > 	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
> > 	Linux User
> > 	#450462   http://counter.li.org.
> >         Key ID = 3951B48D
>
> (The "> "'s have been added by myself)
>
> Now, drag your 73 year-old eyes to that line above which shows you a
> dash, a space and two further dashes followed by a newline.
>
> That is your signature separator.
>
> It's incorrect. If SHOULD be two dashes followed by a space according
> to RFC1046 - MUAs which respect this RFC will recognise everything
> after this sig sep as signature than thus won't quote it. Your PGP
> information should be contained within this section of the mail and
> because your sig sep is incorrect, it's not.
>
> Feel free to correct this.

I'm jumping in here, guys n gals.  If you're using a character oriented
MUA like mutt, you have to verify traditional PGP (ESC-P in mutt),
after that the .signature separator is perfectly legal. It's not Karl's
fault: traditional PGP mangles it.  When verified, the PGP cruft won't
appear in your editor when following up.

Siggy

p.s.: I sent Karl some screen shots explaining what we see and why we
      are complaining.
--
Please don't Cc: me when replying, I might not see either copy.
               bsb-at-psycho-dot-informationsanarchistik-dot-de