pine

Robert Holtzman holtzm at cox.net
Sat Jul 25 18:02:24 UTC 2009

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009, Res wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Jul 2009, Robert Holtzman wrote:
>
>> I too have been using Pine/Alpine for years. Be aware that development
>> of Alpine has been abandoned by UW and the devel team has been "let go".
>
> True, but I never had any problems with even the original pine (which I
> still have installed on my slackware and redhat boxes) so its not a
> stresser if development has ceased, it's like a few other things I use
> that have not been worked on in years, alpine is not 0.00000001% as
> exploitable as GUI browsers, and stable, the only thing I never liked
> about it was the delay in ticks before checking for a break in nntp, but
> been used to that for close on two decades now so i just go make a coffee :)

You're right about Pine not having problems. I ran an older version for
years with no problems and never upgraded to a later version. I'm
running Alpine on the new box and it's at least as good.

Bug/security fixes, being patches, have to be applied, recompiled, and
in my case, .deb packages created because I want to use the package
manager to keep track of things. Also, to me, the one drawback to
Pine/Alpine was the lack of encryption support. yes, I know there are
several scripts to enable encryption use but I've tried almost all I
could find with little or no success.

--
Bob Holtzman
AF9D 8760 0CFA F95A 6C77  E125 BF90 580F 8D54 9279