Network Bug (Broadcom) on Ubuntu Hardy 8.04.3

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 25 17:52:24 UTC 2009

On 07/25/2009 08:48 AM, Julien CHAMPSEIX wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> I have currently an network issue on Ubuntu Hardy 8.04.3 Server i386.
>
> I gonna explain what i did :
>
> 1/ I installed Ubuntu Hardy 8.04.3 Server Version on my server
>
>     *   Basic Installation
>     *   During Installation i can reach the server ip (by ping)
>
> 2/ Reboot server (due the fact installation process finished)
>
> 3/ After reboot
>
>     *    The interface is up on the server if i do *ifconfig* command
> but i cant reach the ip adress with an ping command
>     *    If i do */etc/init.d/networking restart*, the interface is up
> and is reachable
>
> Reference of Network Card : *Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM5708S
> Gigabit Ethernet
>
> *I saw on some forum that could due the bnx2 drivers but i didnt see how
> to fix this bug
>
> What soemone have allready meet this bug ? Any idea to fix it ?

You can try searching launchpad:
<https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=bnx2+%2Bhardy&field.actions.search=Search>

<https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=BCM5708+%2Bhardy&field.actions.search=Search>

These are karmic bugs, but sound similar to your issue:
[Broadcom BCM5708 "SIOCSIFADDR: No such device"]
[Broadcom NetXtreme II (BCM5708) not detected by installer [karmic]]
And possibly of interest:
[bnx2 Broadcom NetExtreme II driver too old for new hardware]
http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/netxtremeii.php