pine

Robert Holtzman holtzm at cox.net
Sat Jul 25 01:34:02 UTC 2009

On Sat, 25 Jul 2009, Res wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Jul 2009, Karl F. Larsen wrote:

>>  I was recalled that years ago I used "pine" as my email client. I
>> tried $ sudo aptitude install pine, but it is not available from the
>> Ubuntu sources. Do you need to to get the tar-ball and compile pine?
>
> Karl,  "alpine" is the replacement they ceased developing pine under its
> old licence I think, and moved the codebase to alpine.
> If you cant find it goto ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/alpine

I too have been using Pine/Alpine for years. Be aware that development
of Alpine has been abandoned by UW and the devel team has been "let go".
Any further work on it is by volunteers and seems to be in the form of
patches. This requires frequent recompiling (I think). See:

http://staff.washington.edu/chappa/alpine/

As a result with great reluctance I'm getting Mutt configured. That's a
bucket of worms compared to Pine/Alpine. At least Mutt has support for
encryption.

--
Bob Holtzman
Light a man's fire and he will be warm for a night.