mounting local file systems ... Failed

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Fri Jul 24 19:55:49 UTC 2009

NoOp wrote:
> On 07/24/2009 10:09 AM, Ray Parrish wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I got the message in the subject suddenly on  my last tow boots. The
>> only partitions being mounted now are my Windows partition, and my
>> Programs {for windows} partition. The other ntfs partitions are not
>> being mounted and when I try to mount them by using Nautilus I get the
>> following dialog of error messages -
>>
>> <http://www.rayslinks/Images/CannotMountVolume.png>
>>

> I think you mean:
> <http://www.rayslinks.com/Images/CannotMountVolume.png>
>

>> Here is what I have in fstab
>>
>> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
>> #
>> proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
>> # /dev/sda6
>> UUID=1d21c59f-6a91-4923-8a91-d8ef30dd8096 /               ext3
>> relatime,errors=remount-ro 0       1
>> /dev/scd0       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0
>> # /dev/sda7
>> UUID=AA84ABA1463F85C9 /media/Downloads ntfs
>> rw,user,nodev,noatime,blksize=4096 0 0
>> # /dev/sda5
>> UUID=01FDB079EDF37490 /media/Music ntfs
>> rw,user,nodev,noatime,blksize=4096 0 0
>> # /dev/sda8
>> UUID=4BC92DF718C72864 /media/Personal ntfs
>> rw,user,nodev,noatime,blksize=4096 0 0
>> # /dev/sda9
>> UUID=A0A8FF96A8FF6964 /media/Programs ntfs
>> ro,nodev,noexec,noatime,blksize=4096 0 0
>> # /dev/sda1
>> UUID=AE3C279C3C275E99 /media/disk ntfs
>> ro,nodev,noexec,noatime,blksize=4096 0 0
>> /mnt/1024Mb.swap none swap sw 0 0
>>
>> Note that the two partitions that do get mounted are set to ro, while
>> the ones not mounting are set to rw. That is the only difference I see.
>>
>> Later, Ray Parrish
>>

> Recommend ntsf-3g - example:
> UUID=<snips> /media/windows ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_US.UTF-8 0 0
> http://ntfs-3g.org/manual.html
>
> Interesting choices you have:
> http://linux.die.net/man/8/mount
> nodev
>     Do not interpret character or block special devices on the file system.
> noexec
>     Do not allow direct execution of any binaries on the mounted file
> system. (Until recently it was possible to run binaries anyway using a
> command like /lib/ld*.so /mnt/binary. This trick fails since Linux
> 2.4.25 / 2.6.0.)
> noatime
>     Do not update inode access times on this file system (e.g, for
> faster access on the news spool to speed up news servers).
>
> I guess nodev and noexec are OK, but noatime seems a little odd. And of
> course you read the warning regarding blksize. Also have a look at:
> http://ntfs-3g.org/support.html
>   http://ntfs-3g.org/support.html#useroption
>     http://ntfs-3g.org/support.html#useroption3
>
> I'd update your ntfs-3g package:
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/ntfs-3g
> and also have a look at the ntfs-3g the gui:
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/ntfs-config
> [...]
Hello again,

I got the problem sorted already. I'm using Hardy Heron so my version of
ntfs-3g is 1.2116 which is newer yet.

The problem was the missing mount points on my file system. How those
disappeared I have no idea. I recreated /media/Personal etc... and all
is well now after a reboot.

Thanks for the reading references, I'll be spending some time on those
today. 8-)

Later, Ray Parrish

http://www.rayslinks.com
things including my poetry.