No Desktop

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Thu Jul 23 18:21:15 UTC 2009

Liam Proven wrote:

> 2009/7/23 Terry Ehrhart <tehrhart at kc.rr.com>:
>> I just installed Ubuntu 9.04 for about the 5th time and I always get the
>> same results.
>>
>> The system loads and then goes to a terminal and says "No resume image
>> found .
>>
>> Where do I go from here?
>>

> Ubuntu hibernates to the swap partition. When it boots, it checks the
> swap partition to see if there's a saved image in there which it can
> load and restart.
>
> On your PC, it's not getting past that point.

I'm not sure we know that.  With the default boot options (particularly,
"quiet"), the console says "No resume image found", or does find one and
says where it's booting from, and then has a long period of silence.  I'm
fairly certain that's all you'll see if it gets all the way to the X
startup, and times out.  So the first thing to do is to boot from the
"recovery" or "single user" grub option, and see what we see.  If it gets as
far as popping up the menu of recovery options, first try "resume normal
boot" (or something like that - it's the first option).  Likely, you'll see
essentially the same problem as now, but with more messages beforehand.
Then get back to us.
--
derek