Oops, shot myself :( session ends after <10s

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Thu Jul 23 13:22:10 UTC 2009

Siggy Brentrup wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> to make things short, I shot myself in the foot when rsyncing my home
> directory to a nfs server, purging it's contents and then nfs mounting
> the backup copy all from the zsh CLI in a gnome-terminal - things I've
> done successfully in the past but not when gnome was running.
>
> <cynic>Seems like found the reason why it's called gnome.</cynic>
>
> Not suprisingly during the purge my Desktop disappeared but after logging
> out and in again: the Desktop is back (expected) an error box popped up
> telling me the session lasted <10s and allowing to inspect ~/.xsession-errors.
>
> on an aside: the error box should be resizeable, it's not funny to inspect
>              error messages in so small a text widget.
>
> I'm attaching ,xsession-errors, maybe somebody among you sees a simple solution,
> delving deep into gnome lasts too long for my full agenda.  If I only could log
> into gdm as root I'd try to recreate my account from scratch this time moving
> hidden .gnome* and .dbus* directories from a console login while gdm is
> stopped.
>
> desktop-less-ly yours
>   Siggy
>
> my resumee: change CLI habits when in a gnome-terminal window.

I had a few days earlier a comparable problem where X wouldn't anymore.
It turned out that the /tmp directory permissions were garbled.
The necessary permissions are drwxrwxrwt (with the sticky bit set).
Resetting the permissions (I assume you know how |)!) did the trick in
my case.
My 2 cents,
Joep