create raid1 on a installed system

Asif Iqbal vadud3 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 02:45:34 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 9:37 PM, Rashkae<ubuntu at tigershaunt.com> wrote:
> Asif Iqbal wrote:
>

>> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO-7.html#ss7.6
>>

> I did not mean for you to follow any step by step from the howto.
> honestly, I think there is no such guide for what you are trying to do,

Actually I found the following two article very close to what I want, minus
mkinitrd or raid autodetect partitions in the active disks

http://wiki.xtronics.com/index.php/Raid uses (uses mkinitrd)

or

http://www.debian-administration.org/users/philcore/weblog/4 (raid autodetect)

I was looking for an article with that explains mkinitramfs and no
raid autodetect

> but rather, it's only possible to gather understanding of how the system
> works and how you can manipulate it to your ends.
>
> Reading the how to should give you a firm grasp on the use of mdadm and
> partitioning for Raid.

I think I understand pretty well the concept of mdadm.

> Once you understand those concepts, the original idea is still the path
> you need to follow.
>
> Install new drive, partition new drive, create degraded raid array on
> new drive, clone existing installation to new drive, boot into new drive
> to test.  (chances are, the first time you do this, you will overlook
> something and need a boot/rescue cd anyhow).

Most likely, hence my email, hoping to escape that.

Thanks for your advise