MS contributing to Linux

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Tue Jul 21 18:53:16 UTC 2009

Smoot Carl-Mitchell wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-07-21 at 22:25 +0800, Chan Chung Hang Christopher wrote:
>> தங்கமணி அருண் wrote:
>> > Read : http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/7/20/167
>> >

>> OOOooohh. Microsoft releasing a driver so that you can run Linux on top
>> of Windows. What a PR win.
>
> This is an MS move to compete with VMware. I am not sure why you want to
> run Linux under Windows, but there are a lot of Windows shops out there
> that may see some benefits.

I can tell you exactly why you would run Linux under windows.  I support a
university program where the students are expected to install Oracle.
Unfortunately the version of Oracle shipped with the course can NOT be
installed on the average user's Windows system.  The Linux version installs
fine in a Linux VM.  Many people aren't willing to take the full Linux
plunge, but can handle Linux as a VM or via Wubi.  Don't complain - it's the
thin edge of the wedge!
--
derek