delivery temporarily suspended: connect to, localhost[10.11.12.13]:25: Connection timed out

Admin admin at enabled.com
Mon Jul 20 19:24:59 UTC 2009

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Admin wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I am using fetchmail to pop3 mail from gmail.  But when I receive email
>> I find that fetchmail is using postfix to deliver the mail to the
>> corresponding internal mailbox.  postfix responds with the following
>> error and best I can tell the mail never ends up in my inbox.  Looks
>> like localhost is considered 10.11.12.13.  The error message,
>> /etc/hosts, and postconf -n are below.
>>

>> Here is the error message:
>>
>> ---- snip ----
>>
>> <username at localhost>: delivery temporarily suspended: connect to
>>      localhost[10.11.12.13]:25: Connection timed out
>>

> This suggests your trying to send mail to (literally) username at localhost
> instead of some valid user on your system.  It's "temporarily" suspended,
> because you're expected to either create a user named "username" or modify
> your /etc/aliases to ensure that "username"s mail goes to a valid user, then
> the next attempt to deliver will succeed.

your explanation does not get me closer to a solution then.  the
username is actually a cover that I put in place of a real username.
the actual username that should appear in place of the username does
exist locally as a user account.  so if what you are saying is true then
the mail should have been delivered but it has not.

also localhost is 127.0.0.1 according to my /etc/hosts file output.  but
instead the localhost that is getting reolved is 10.11.12.13 .
so something is still getting Munged.  I checked hostname resolution for
localhost from the servers listed in /etc/resolv.conf and arrive at the
address 127.0.0.1

$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1     localhost localhost.localdomain