Jaunty ATI/AMD FGLRX driver install is broken :(

Andrew Farris flyindragon1 at aol.com
Mon Jul 20 19:04:22 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-17 at 01:27 -0400, Zachary Uram wrote:
> This is fresh Jaunty system, AMD Athlon dual core running kernel
> 2.6.28-11-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP
>
> Have ATI Radeon HD graphics card.
>
> Went to System->Administration->Hardware Drivers
>
> It showed:
>
> No proprietary drivers are in use on this system.
> ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver
>
> So I clicked Activate and it then it just hangs on:
> Downloading and installing driver..0%
>
> It never moves past 0%
>
> And my internet connection is working fine,no firewall in the way either.
>
> How can I get this driver installed? I really need hardware
> acceleration so I can play games

I'ts been my experience that jockey (the program that's launched when
you go to "System > Administration > Hardware Drivers") appears to hang
when you tell it to activate a driver for the first time, when in fact
it is not frozen.  What has always happened to me is that it stays at 0%
for a few minutes while it downloads the drivers, and then only after
it's done with that does it show a progress (usually around 80%).  Check
and see if this is the case by going to "System > Administration >
Hardware Drivers", clicking 'Activate' by your driver, then just let it
sit and work, and come back a little later to see if it's finished
successfully. If it hasn't, please post the error message you get in
your next message :)

Alternatively, to watch it's progress, you can run "jockey-gtk" in a
terminal (direct launch for the app), and then after toy click
"Activate", watch the console, and see if it displays an error.  I
believe that the console shows the download progress if you launch via
there, but i don't remember for sure.

      * Hope thats helpful!
--
Andrew