Brother MFC errors

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 15:22:26 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 9:34 AM, Keith Clark<keithclark at k-wbookworm.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-07-17 at 09:19 -0500, Tommy Trussell wrote:

>> > I tried updating the latest driver.  It was a .deb and installed on its
>> > own (more or less).
>> >
>> > It still gives the same error though.
>> >
>> > It still works under Vista so I know it is not a hardware issue.
>>
>> yes but did you follow ALL the instructions at the Brother site,
>> including the Scanner Setting for Normal Users:
>>
>> http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/instruction_scn1c.html
>>
>> This is the part that probably got blown away by the update to dbus.
>>
>> I believe they could have avoided the problem completely with a clever
>> udev rule specifically for the scanner. They also could have put this
>> into the .deb, but they apparently haven't learned how.
>>

> Tommy:
>
> Spot on!  Fantastic.  I'm back up and running.

I'm going to send an email to Brother suggesting they could make the
following change to their instructions for Ubuntu 9.04. If the user or
package creates a NEW udev file that overrides the existing one it
won't get blown away with udev updates.

(Actually I think they probably should include a SPECIFIC udev rule
that applies ONLY to Brother devices instead of this generic one, but
I don't know udev well enough to advise them. I just tried the
following, and it does work.)

create a NEW file
    lib/udev/rules.d/51-udev-override.rules
    with the following contents:

# Override udev permissions rule as per Brother instructions
# http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/instruction_scn1c.html
#
# libusb device nodes
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device",
NAME="bus/usb/$env{BUSNUM}/$env{DEVNUM}", MODE="0666"