9.04 can't find second hard drive.

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 14:36:00 UTC 2009

Accessys at smart.net wrote:
> thanks.
>
> steps taken since this thread has started and my proposed future
> steps.
> I've had bad Motherboards and in fact this is a 2nd motherboard at the
> same time, the first one was bad out of the box and would never load
> the OS

	Please tell use the type of motherboard you bought. The first special
priced mother board on the latest newegg flier is a xlt or like that and
these boards are BAD! So if you have one of those you need to get a much
better board.

73 Karl

> [...]
>
>> Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>> .
>>>

>>> 	Mark if were able to read, too bad, you would know the guy has a brand
>>> new mother board with a band new BIOS software. Why change that? It
>>> works on everything except an old, maybe not working IDE hard drive.
>>
>> What part of my post didn't you understand?  Did you even bother to READ
>> the bloody thing?  No.  I stated,
>>
>>> To me, upgrading the BIOS is too risky unless we know for sure the IDE
>> And yes, I'm aware it's a NEW motherboard, but haven't you ever received
>> a new device (wireless router, mp3 player, motherboard) that has a new
>> BIOS or firmware version that is buggy?  Never?  You are lucky, then.
>> Buggy BIOS does happen on new motherboards.
>>
>> What YOU are advocating is not even bothering with determining if the
>> old drive is bad or not.  And I say that's ridiculous.  If you don't
>> want to give the helpful advice then I politely ask you to shut up.  If
>> your advice is to ignore the problem, then don't post to this list, it
>> wastes everyone's bandwidth.
>>
>> As for me, I would prefer to find out for certain if the drive is bad
>> first, and if not, then determine the risk/reward of flashing the BIOS,
>> IF A NEW VERSION IS EVEN AVAILABLE.  If the MB has an IDE controller it
>> should recognize all IDE devices.  If it doesn't, then either the device
>> is bad or the BIOS is bad.  I don't see it that the BIOS ignores IDE
>> hard drives, or certain types.  IDE is IDE.  The BIOS /shouldn't/ care
>> if it's a CDROM/DVD drive or a HDD.  The last time I saw a BIOS like
>> that was back in the day when multi-GB HDDs were just made available and
>> certain BIOS's couldn't handle the addressing of large drives.  I rather
>>  doubt that's the issue here.
>>

>> --
>> Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
>>
>> Mark Haney
>> Sr. Systems Administrator
>> ERC Broadband
>> (828) 350-2415
>>
>> --
>>

> -
> end
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> occasionally a true patriot must defend his country from its' government
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> safety deserve Neither liberty nor safety",    Benjamin Franklin
> -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -
>    ASCII Ribbon Campaign. . . . . . . . . . . . accessBob
>    .NO HTML/PDF/RTF/MIME in e-mail. . . . . . . accessys at smartnospam.net
>    .NO MSWord docs in e-mail . . . .. . . . . . Access Systems, engineers
>    .NO attachments in e-mail, .*LINUX powered*. access is a civil right
> THIS message and any attachments are CONFIDENTIAL and may be
> privileged.  They are intended ONLY for the individual or entity named

- --

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User
	#450462   http://counter.li.org.