That Compac Presario again no networking

Graham Todd grahamtodd2 at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 19 23:05:20 UTC 2009

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 15:50:23 -0600
"Karl F. Larsen" <klarsen1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 	With some trouble I now have Vista and Ubuntu 8.10 and 9.04
> all running fine controlled by grub.
>
> 	So please try to load 9.04 again and then let us know what
> problems your having IN DETAIL!
[snipped]

Good advice, but some of the cheaper laptops (in my experience) are not
so reliable (admittedly we Brits don't have Walmart here but
Woolworth's has recently gone bust and Asda - who are owned by Walmart
in the UK - don't even bother to advertise computers...though the
cheapest is the equivalent of $404 which may be the reason).

I'd suggest he tries a Ubuntu look alike.  I've got gOS 3.1 to connect
wirelessly on every laptop I've tried and its even installed on a
Hi-Grade on which Ubuntu refused to install.  Admittedly, the version
of the base Ubuntu system in gOS is Hardy, but you can change this to
Jaunty in /etc/apt/sources.list without any discernable problems.

So the fault may simply be the distro used not being fully compatible
with the hardware on which it is intended to run it.  But we'll never
know, or be able to advise the OP, until he gives a detailed breakdown
of his problems or of the steps he has taken to remedy the matter.

-
Graham Todd