That Compac Presario again no networking

Karl F. Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 21:50:23 UTC 2009

Jay Daniels wrote:
> These kids are driving me crazy to fix this pos computer...  This is the
> second post on this matter, I gave up the first time.
>
> I can't understand this Compac Presario.  I have no networking, but for
> all I know according to ifconifg, route, etc. It should be working.
> Linksys assigned ip and updated resolv.conf  I tried 8.04 and 9.04 and
> slackware 10!

	Well you need some advice. Your approach stinks! It appears you have no
idea what your daughter has.

	First, your computer you say came from Wal Mart and it was cheap. I
bought a Compac Presario CQ50 with Vista Basic installed for $298.00
plus tax from Wal Mart. Compac was bought by HP so my laptop has both names.

	With some trouble I now have Vista and Ubuntu 8.10 and 9.04 all running
fine controlled by grub.

	So please try to load 9.04 again and then let us know what problems
your having IN DETAIL!

73 Karl

> I have an ip, I can even see atlabs-1 on the linksys.
>
> Why won't networking work on this cheap walmart computer with Realtek
> 8139too loaded and /etc/resolv.conf is updated but nothing working,
> ping, localnet, nothing.
>
> Worked perfect in XP, even tried swapping cables and ports.
>
> Any ideas short of throwing a nic at it?  Would it be easier to get a
> linksys usb wifi adapter to work on this junk?
>

> jay d.

- --

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User