Chinese user setup

Avraham Hanadari rufus at hanadari.net
Sat Jul 18 08:52:31 UTC 2009

Fred Roller wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-07-18 at 12:17 +0800, Sandy Harris wrote:
>> I'm a Canadian in China with a fairly good box running 9.04.
>> It displays Chinese characters just fine, but currently has
>> no Chinese input and all applications use English for
>> prompts, menus, etc.
>>
>> I've set up accounts for Chinese friends. They can
>> log in OK, but cannot really use the system since
>> their English is limited.
>>
>> Is there a way to set things up so that when they
>> log in they get an entirely Chinese system? Can
>> I create a group "Chinese" and have all members
>> get that?
>>
>> --
>> Sandy Harris,
>> Fuzhou, Fujian, China
>>

> I don't want to make presumption but have you looked at
> System->Administration->Language Support?

I was pleasantly surprised to note that I could add support for Chinese.
I am still limited to four keyboards in the Keyboard indicator, however.
English, French, German and Hebrew are currently there, but Ubuntu will
not allow me to add Arabic and Chinese.

More to the point in this thread, how am I to input Chinese? It used to
be via the SCIM input method. Should I go that way now?

Avraham