9.04 can't find second hard drive.

Steve yorvik.ubunto at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 17 22:53:52 UTC 2009

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 22:50:32 +0100, Accessys at smart.net
<accessys at smart.net> wrote:

> again I agree. have never seen a bad BIOS that couldn't detect.

I've seen it a couple of times where drives haven't been detected, hence
my earlier suggestion.  You could, even, reset the BIOS. The instructions
will be in the manual for the Mobo.
Have you searched for your mobo or gone to the manufacturer's site to see
if there are any known problems or a BIOS update.

> may have damaged the drive though although I was careful about static.

Switch the power on and off is enough to kill a drive.

> under certain circumstances I can hear the drive "seeking"
> but it is just sitting there running.

Check the connector to see if any pins are bent or broken.

I do think, though, that the drive is dead and you may be best looking
round the net for interesting things to do with old drives :-)

--
Steve