Brother MFC errors

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 13:53:57 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 4:40 PM, Keith Clark<keithclark at k-wbookworm.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 16:02 -0500, Tommy Trussell wrote:
>> Also I believe there was an update to DBUS the other day -- have you
>> installed the Ubuntu updates in the past week? You may have run into a
>> bug in the DBUS rules -- someone may have accidentally identified the
>> Brother MFC scanner as an HP printer or something like that.
>>
>> Which version of Ubuntu are you running?
>>
>> I haven't found a DBUS troubleshooting page, but it might be helpful
>> to see in more detail what it's doing when it sees your
>> scanner/printer.
>>

> Ubuntu 9.04 and error is:
>
> Failed to open device 'brother2:bus2;dev1':Error during device I/O.

On my Brother DCP-7020 printer I have a proprietary driver installed
to make it visible to SANE (the linux scanner software), whereas there
is an open-source driver available that makes the printer work. It
doesn't install itself CORRECTLY, but it does work once you know it's
there.

What model Brother printer do you use, and did you install the Brother
driver to make any part of it work, or did it just work when you
plugged it in? (I don't believe Ubuntu contains a driver that works
for my scanner, though that might have changed with 9.04.)

If you use the proprietary driver, I would try removing it and
installing the latest version. Also note that the instructions on the
Brother site http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/ may have
required more than just downloading and installing the package. If you
had to edit the dbus files for the version you installed, the recent
Ubuntu update probably blew away your changes. A newer version of the
Brother driver may eliminate that problem.