procmail filter for mailinglist

Siggy Brentrup ubuntu at psycho.i21k.de
Thu Jul 16 20:37:54 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 23:26 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Siggy Brentrup wrote:

> > Never put this in your .procmailrc: by crafting a Sender:
> > xxxx-bounces at some.where in a malicious message anybody can create
> > a maildir on your system, from now on any mail carrying this header
> > will be delivered to list.xxxx/ without you even noticing :)
>
> WTP?  I fail to see how that's an issue.  I don't use procmail, but I _do_
> filter mail into essentially random maildirs.   If it's spam, or any other
> malicious content, it's just sitting there in a folder - it's _never_
> unnoticed.  It will show up as New mail.

Not with my MUA, it only checks mailboxes declared in .muttrc.  Citing
it's author: "All mail clients suck. This one just sucks less." -me,
circa 1995

> > That's the rationale for me to match the full header line and thus an
> > entry for every accepted sender plus a fallback for non-matches.
>
> Yeah, reasonable, but imo unnecessary.

see above.

> > Most if not all MTAs handle .forward.
>
> Absolutely, but not fetchmail itself.

It's no MTA, no MDA, it's a mess <duck/>. Yet I use it to fetch mail
from my obligatory POP3 mailbox at my ISP's.

mutt-ingly yours
  Siggy
--
Please don't cc: me when replying on the list.
    bsb-at-psycho-dot-informationsanarchistik-dot-de