I want better email SW. Can Evolution/Majordomo deliver?

Aart Koelewijn aart at mtack.xs4all.nl
Thu Jul 16 18:26:21 UTC 2009

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 10:23:17 -0700, Piper wrote:

>  Can anyone elaborate on what port 25 is or why Majordomo as a private
> listerver would smell like DSL spam?

 Port 25 is the port usually used for email traffic to and between Mail
Transfer Agents (MTAs). Many Internet Service Providers (ISPs) block all
traffic on this port except for the traffic to their own MTAs. In this
way they can get a better grip on spam and can catch anyone trying to
send spam.

Many DSL users have a dynamical allocated ip. An official MTA never has a
dynamical allocated ip. Most spam is send from user accounts who often
have a dynamical allocated ip. Ranges of dynamical allocated ip's are
well known. In an effort to prevent spam mail from userrs a dynamical
allocated ip is often blocked by MTAs, except from the MTA from the ISP
who has users in this range of ip's.

For this reason, if either your ISP blocks port 25 and/or you have a
dynamic ip it can be impossible for you to send mail directly, you will
always have to send it trough the MTA of your provider, he then will
deliver it to the MTA of the ISP of the adressee.

Now I don't know the mailinglist software mentioned in this tread, I have
a static ip and my ISP does not block port 25, I run my own MTA and
deliver directly to the MTA of the ISP of the addressee, but it seems
quite likely mailinglist software will have to be set-up in a special way
if either port 25 is blocked and/or you have a dynamic ip.

--
Aart