I want better email SW. Can Evolution/Majordomo deliver?

Piper pay_the_piper at shaw.ca
Thu Jul 16 17:23:17 UTC 2009

Thank you for the helpful feedback.

The problem is one of layman-technical person communication.

I presented the two problems/issues with existing SW like the Express SW I
have here now with a Windows OS.
I think these are reasonable requests for users of email address book lists.
If they are not then maybe I am communicating them improperly and correction
would be helpful.

Express private lists in the "mailbox" do not solve these problems. Yahoo
public lists have problems I presented earlier. A Google group or any other
use of someone else's hosting service may face the same problems some day.

 That is why I bought a new
pc and took it to computer shop A which installed Ubuntu with Evolution and
then Majordomo. But shop A would not configure the Majordomo.

Shop B now has the machine and is looking into the solution. It seemed to me
they have two possibilities: (1) write new code for Linux to improve
Evolution; (2) configure Majordomo so that it is a private listerver with
the features I want rather than a public listerver. However, DF presented
a third remedy.

Do I have the overall features of the communication problem stated well
enough? What can I add or change to make it clearer to Shop B?

There is also an issue here about marketing basics. I am buying a
computer service which is no different from buying a service on my
car. I pay the money, a fair amount for a job done well. I also
have an expectation that the service provider will be duly
respectful of my requests, allowing for my shortcomings in the
use of technical language.

DF's earlier comment seems to be something I should take to Shop B.

"What the ISP thinks is irrelevant unless it blocks port 25, or if other
ISPs (in an effort to combat spam) block anything that smells of a
DSL address".

Can anyone elaborate on what port 25 is or why Majordomo as a
private listerver would smell like DSL spam?

Also DF stated that "most people may prefer Mailman to Majordomo".

Do the problems above re port 25 and DSL apply to Mailman?

Solution 3)

I could ask Shop B to download Mailman. How time
consuming/laborious/expensive is that?

 Can I then use Mailman as a private
listerve?