Dual-boot setup still not working...

Xandros Pilosa folivora.pilosa at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 17:10:11 UTC 2009

J Bickhard wrote:
> I have Windows XP pro on my hard drive (partition 1) and then I
> installed Ubuntu Jaunty (partition 2). How can I put GRUB into the MBR
> so that it boots instead of windows? Using the Boot flag in Gparted
> greets me with a black screen that just sits there (for three hours
> now...)
>
> Thank you,
> Jake, Editor of Micro 100 Magazine

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows

Don't let the title of the page to mislead you. Just read carefully and
choose on of the options that suits you the best.

On the matter why the installer did not install Grub 1st stage on the
MBR on the boot HD (usually master on the first controller I have no
idea. Maybe you have the MBR protected from writing or you have chosen
the partition to install to at boot loader install dialogue?
Anyway, I am just guessing, the solution is linked above.

Regards!