swap partition deleted

p.echols at comcast.net p.echols at comcast.net
Thu Jul 16 16:01:33 UTC 2009

----- "JYOTI SHEORAN" <sheoranjs24 at gmail.com> wrote:

> i have a sata hard drive, in which i installed ubuntu, xp, vista, and
> red hat linux.
> i accidently deleted the swap partition n formatted it to ntfs in
> vista.
> now my ubuntu is not booting anymore.
> i have xp on primary partition and all other on logical partition
> i tried ubuntu live cd...it also shows my sata hard drive as
> unallocated
> how ever i am able to boot into xp, vista and red hat linux using
> vista bootloader
> in red hat linux also , my sata hard drive is shown unallocated. wat
> to do now?

See Derek's comments.  It does sound like more than just the Swap.

> how to create a swap partiton? without reformatting my whole drive? my
> hard drive is shown in vista and xp but not in any linux distro.

To resize, create, delete, partitions you can use gparted.  I believe it is available on the ubuntu distro cd.  But I find the live CD more convenient.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

If you follow the link to clonezilla, you can also image your drive before you start . . . a VERY good idea.

Note:  These are very powerful tools and you could easily hose your vista, xp and redhat partitions too.  The good news is that it will ask for confirmation before making changes. But that is not something you want to click past without being sure!

Good luck.