microphone issue Jaunty netbook remix

tish tihomir.plachkov at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 21:02:40 UTC 2009

Hm there is a plenty of history regarding microphone problems and
generally sound problems with Dell laptops. I am  running on Ubuntu
Jaunty on Dell XPS m1530 and am also under heavy troubleshooting of
sound problems. After a fresh install I followed that guide

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789578&highlight=pulseaudio

It worked but not for skype. There was plenty of delay in the sound on
both ends.

Workaround for me was:

skype-> options->sound devices-> sound out pulse, ringing pulse, sound
in HDA intel(hw:Intel,0).

I was not quite happy with the sound of pulse audio cause of cracky
sounds.

After reinstalling pulseaudio I never managed to get my microphone
correctly back on track. The microphone output was too low and the
microphone icon on the recording tab under capture is crossed out.

I've tried installing esound(removing pulse)...but after resume from
suspend  skype does not have audio output. Playing s/th on the music
player brings skype audio output back.

Greetings,

Tish