ubuntu 9.04 installation problem

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Wed Jul 15 20:46:29 UTC 2009

Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> Mahadi Hasan wrote:
>> I've recently recieved a CD of ubuntu 9.04 that I requested.
>> I tried to install this version replacing the 8.10 one with Window xp

> 	Well ext4 is still experimental and I STRONG suggest you use ext3 file
> system. Using the manual partition method is fine so long as you know
> how to use it.
>
> 	So replace ext4 with ext3 and try again.
>

> 73 Karl

You really need to stop giving out crappy advice.  ext4 is not
considered experimental in anything but using it on the /boot partition.
I've successfully installed and used a couple of different distros with
ext4 partitions (except the /boot/) and had no trouble at all.

To me, this isn't a filesystem issue.  It sounds to me like either a bug
in the installer interacting with his hardware, or even something as
simple as the system is not writing the partition table correctly.

He really doesn't give us enough information to help with debugging it,
and personally, I'd prefer finding the real problem rather than avoiding
it by dropping to ext3.  It's possible that it doesn't matter WHAT
filesystem he uses, it'll do the same thing.

--
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415