Utility for ripping DVD audio to mp3 or wav...

Dave Woyciesjes woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 15 19:09:51 UTC 2009

Rashkae wrote:
> Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
>> 	I'm looking around for an easy utility or method to rip the audio from
>> a DVD to a wav or mp3 file. Ability to choose which audio gets ripped
>> would be nice, but if I have to get all the audio files, then sort
>> through them, NBD.
>>
>> 	So far dvdrip & ogmrip look promising. I'll have a look at them... Any
>> other suggestions?
>>

> Mplayer
>
> mplayer dvd://1 -ao pcm:file=audio.wav -vo null -aid 128
>

> There are probably various ways to get mplayer to create the final
> destination mp3, but I find the incantations too arcane for something I
> do so rarely.
>
> The aid switch is where you specify the audio track.  For dvd's, they
> start at 128 and count up.  (There's also an -alang option that might be
> more suitable to your needs)

	Got pretty good results... I'm a happy boy now. :)

For those who missed the beginning, here's a summary:
	I've got the Thunderstruck III DVD, snowmobile mountain climbing. And I
want the songs in mp3. Since some of the bands no longer exist, or some
just don't have those songs in mp3 format, I need to do it myself.
	With the mplayer command above (I had to add -dvd-device /media/cdrom0
to get it to see my DVD drive) I got the wav file.
	Open that in Audacity to separate out the different tracks into mp3
files. Yes, exporting them to a different format, something lossless,
would yield even better sound quality results...
	Then I open the mp3 file in Audacity, apply an EQ effect to boost the
low end. Custom curve, start at +3db at 20Hz, with a nice curve to about
+1db at 100HZ, down to 0db at 1000Hz, staying at 0db from there. Gives
the bass drum & bass guitar a little more presence.
	Next, hit the Amplify Effect to increase the overall level. The default
it comes up with is good, peak amplitude of 0db, with no clipping allowed.
	Export to mp3, and enjoy....

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818