dhcdbd message_handler in syslog

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Wed Jul 15 18:49:36 UTC 2009

Jay Daniels wrote:

> what does this mean? i'm using 8.04
>
> tail -f /var/log/messages

print the last few lines of /var/log/messages, and then keep printing new
ones as they're added to the file.

... oh, you actually meant the rest of this: :-)

> Jul 14 17:50:38 my-t60 dhcdbd: message_handler: message handler not
> found under /com/redhat/dhcp/wlan0 for sub-path
> wlan0.dbus.get.nis_domain
> Jul 14 17:50:38 my-t60 dhcdbd: message_handler: message handler not
> found under /com/redhat/dhcp/wlan0 for sub-path
> wlan0.dbus.get.nis_servers
> Jul 14 17:50:38 my-t60 dhcdbd: message_handler: message handler not
> found under /com/redhat/dhcp/wlan0 for sub-path
> wlan0.dbus.get.interface_mtu

Every device that's added to the system gets registered with "hal".  The
path shown is simply a unique identifier chosen for that device (I'm not
sure why /com/redhat, but I expect they wrote the original code).  The rest
of the message says there is no function defined to process
"wlan0.dbus.get.nis_domain", etc.  This most likely means that, in the case
of the first two, you don't have nis setup, and in the last that there's no
meaningful value of interface_mtu in this context.  I've always assumed
(perhaps wrongly) that these messages are essentially meaningless or
something would have generated an error.  I've also always wished the
network developers would stop leaving their debugging messages turned on in
production code.
--
derek