microphone issue Jaunty netbook remix

Gary Kirkpatrick pegngary at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 13:51:29 UTC 2009

I am having trouble recording (and with skype voice out).  The mic setting
under Volume Control is muted regardless how often I uncheck it.  Under
Pulse Audio Vol Control Output Devices it won't permit the output selection
to be unmuted.  When I play back in sounder recorder I hear a hiss but no
voice playback.   This is a Dell 10' notebook.

I tried to implement the instructions found at
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/sound-solutions-for-ubuntu-904-jaunty-users.html.
However, PulseAudio Device Chooser.(padevchooser) won't open.

Also, "Click the record button. In the PA volume control recording tab you
should now see

gnome-sound-recorder: Record Stream."  i do not see record stream.

Thanks

gary

ps played with skype sound settings to no avail.  If sound record does not
work can't swee how skype can