share printer with linux

Arun Shrimali arun.reso at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 11:22:15 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 12:36 PM, Soren Orel <soren.orel at gmail.com> wrote:

> nmap 192.168.1.244
>
> Starting Nmap 4.62 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-07-15 08:59 CEST
> Interesting ports on 192.168.1.244:
> Not shown: 1711 closed ports
> PORT    STATE SERVICE
> 53/tcp  open  domain
> 111/tcp open  rpcbind
> 139/tcp open  netbios-ssn
> 445/tcp open  microsoft-ds
>
> Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.204 seconds
>
> it doesn't even listen on port 631, sorry
>
> I tried:
> ipp://192.168.1.244:631/printers/iP1800-series
>
> but it doesn't work
>

>> For ipp you need to add the port:
>> ipp://192.168.1.244:631/printers/<printername>
>>

>> --

Dear Orel,

I have also done a long fight to solve this issue, thus I would like to
share with you my document. As you said Windows to Ubuntu is working thus
following doc is for Ubuntu to Ubuntu. ( I am using Ubuntu 9.04 with HP
printers). Here Server is the PC where Printer is attached and Client is
from where you want to give print.

   1.

   On the server:
   1.

         Set up your printer, and make sure it's turned on and working.
         2.

         Go to the System > Administration menu and click on Printing.
         3.

         Select “Server → Settings” on the left, and
         4.

         turn on the checkbox labeled “Share published printers connected to
         this system”. This will allow printer sharing over your
private network. If
         you want to access the printer over the Internet, also turn on “Allow
         printing from the Internet”.
         5.

         Select your *printer* under Local Printers on the left, select the
         *Properties* tab → *Policies* and turn on the checkboxes labeled
         “Enabled”, “Accepting jobs” and “Shared”.
         6.

         If you have enabled the
firewall<http://www.funnestra.org/ubuntu/intrepid/#ufw>,
         open port 631 (the default
IPP<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Printing_Protocol>port) for
the IP addresses to which you want to give printer access. If you
         want to restrict printer access to your private network, set
the policy to
         open your IPP port for only 192.168.0.0/16 (i.e., IPs of the form
         192.168.xxx.xxx). If you are using
ufw<http://www.funnestra.org/ubuntu/intrepid/#ufw>,
         you can do this as follows:

         sudo ufw allow from 192.168.0.0/16 to any app CUPS

         7.

         If you are behind a router on a private network, give your server a
         static private IP (e.g., 192.168.1.30) by clicking on the System >
         Administration > Network menu item and setting up a static
IP. Note that the
         "gateway address" should be the router's address (e.g., 192.168.0.1,
         192.168.1.1, or whatever).
         8.

         If you want to access your server over the Internet and are behind
         a router, configure the router to allow access to your
server's IPP port
         (port 631).
         9.

         If you want to access your server over the Internet and your
         Internet Service Provider doesn't give you a static IP
address, you need to set
         up a publicly accessible
hostname<http://www.funnestra.org/ubuntu/intrepid/#static-hostname>.

          2.

   On the client:
   1.

      Go to the System > Administration menu and click on Printing.
      2.

      Click on the New Printer button.
      3.

      http://$SERVER:631/printers/$PRINTER

      where $SERVER is the server hostname or IP address and $PRINTER is the
      printer name on the server, and then click Forward and follow
the remaining
      steps as you would for local printer setup. You can see the
names of all the
      printers shared by a server by visiting the following URL in your web
      browser also:

      http://$SERVER:631/printers

      *where $SERVER is the server hostname or IP address.*

             Select Other, and enter the following URI:

Best of luck

Arun