What's a script?

Brian McKee brian.mckee at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 21:35:18 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 6:37 PM, Mark C. Miller<mr.mcmiller at gmail.com> wrote:
> What does the author mean by a "script"?  Is this a particular
> programming language?  Once you get it written, whatever you write it in,
> what would be the command to execute it, once I figured out what the
> "appropriate start up file" is?

Hi Mark

Lots of good answers (among the commentary :-) already here.  I just
thought I'd expand on one point.

A simple way to look at it is this - anything you type in the Terminal
program, you could instead type into a plain text file, and the tell
the computer to 'run' that.  The point is you only type it once, and
everytime you run it it's exactly the same.  It's a 'script' for the
computer to read like a 'script' is for an actor to read.

This link can help get you going if you are interested.
http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/

There are other 'scripting languages', but bash is a great place to start.

Brian

--
All you need to know about Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty -> gconftool -s --type
bool /apps/update-notifier/auto_launch false