Problem with Google Mail and Ubuntu

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Mon Jul 13 14:56:33 UTC 2009

Carl Friis-Hansen wrote:

> On Sun, July 12, 2009 06:20, Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Carl Friis-Hansen wrote:
>>
>>> Postfix can only *send* mail.
>>
>> That's a rather odd assertion.  Postfix certainly _does_ receive mail.
>> It
>> listens on port 25 (usually) and the interfaces you specify.  If you only
>> allow localhost, then essentially it only sends mail.  But if it listens
>> on
>> an Internet-connected interface, then it can indeed receive mail.
>
> You are right, but what I wanted to say with the statement is that Postfix
> do not provide an in interface to actually receive your email from
> wherever the end-station might be.  For that one normally need an
> application that can go directly, via the file system to the local mail
> folders, or a two tier system with IMAP/POP server and a usual email
> client.
> I have a feeling that we both know that we are right, based on the
> viewpoint  :-)

OK, sounds like a translation problem :-)

Postfix certainly _does_ "receive email from ... the end-station" - provided
your DNS names that postfix server as its MX (not the sort of thing you
usually want to do with a home desktop).

It sounds like you are talking about the Mail Delivery Agent - well Postfix
can actually do that part too, delivering to either an mbox file or Maildir
folders.
--
derek