What's a script?

Siggy Brentrup ubuntu at psycho.i21k.de
Mon Jul 13 12:52:09 UTC 2009

<nitpick>
On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 13:36 +0100, Steve Flynn wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 12:18 AM, Karl F. Larsen<klarsen1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >        On Linux we call it a bash file. It is a lot more complex than a .bat
> > files.
>
> We do?
>
> What if the first line of the script is
>
> #! /bin/ksh
>
> indicating that the following commands should be interepreted by the
> Korn Shell. Should it still be referred to as a "bash file" even if
> the script relies on specific builtin commands only implemented by the
> Korn shell?

Though correct, I think this doesn't clear things up for the OP.

Since the early days of Unix[tm] files containing commands interpreted
by the shell (usually /bin/sh) were called "shell scripts". I just
can't recall if the term is already used in the faumous '70 article in
Bell Journal.  </nitpick>

Regards
  Siggy
--
Please don't cc: me when replying on the list.
    bsb-at-psycho-dot-informationsanarchistik-dot-de