Java on Jaunty

Tim Frost timfrost at xtra.co.nz
Mon Jul 13 10:05:23 UTC 2009

Liam,

On Mon, 2009-07-13 at 02:08 +0100, Liam Proven wrote:
> Another question about the same old PC from my previous post.
>
> I installed the ubuntu-restricted-extras package. However, Java still
> didn't work in Firefox. Is this normal for 9.04?

The default java for jaunty is openjdk, not the Sun java packages.
That includes icedtea6-plugin as the plugin for browsers.

ubuntu-restricted-extras lists the following:
  Recommends: icedtea6-plugin
  Recommends: sun-java6-jre

but doesn't list sun-java6-plugin.

> I then manually installed sun-java6-plugin and this sucked in all the
> Java 1.6 JVM and now it plays.

There have been bugs (some of them beng significant) in the icedtea java
plugin, particularly for 64-bit jaunty.  As I have (like you) installed
the sun plugin (now that one is available:), most of my issues have
disappeared.

> Is Java no longer part of the restricted-extras package, or does it
> just skip the plugin?

Tim

--
Tim Frost <timfrost at xtra.co.nz>