Nvidia-legacy drivers on Jaunty

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 01:06:00 UTC 2009

I'm just setting up an old PC for a friend of a friend, and naturally,
I have put Ubuntu on it. It's an Athlon XP 700+ with 768MB of RAM and
an nVidia Riva TNT2 AGP card.

Interestingly, Hardy failed to boot. It installed cleanly from a live
CD, but the resultant system never got past GRUB. Jaunty worked fine,
1st time.

The Hardware-drivers tool is unable to detect this old graphics card,
but I googled for more instructions. I checked what version of
nVidia's drivers support a Riva TNT2 and it's the v71 build.

So, I installed nvidia-glx-71. This went smoothly. On reboot, there is
no nVidia logo, but the display seems a lot snappier. Scrolling is now
lightning fast, windows move quickly if a little jerkily, and resizing
them is smooth.

But as some posts led me to fear, the Display applet now can't change
screen resolution. Neither will nVidia's X Settings tool, which merely
says that I'm not using an nVidia driver. No OpenGL screensavers work
and I can't enable desktop effects.

How can one tell if one is or isn't using the nVidia driver? My
xorg.conf file is empty. And if, as I suspect, I am, then why won't
OpenGL work?

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
MSN: lproven at hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508