remote machine font display

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Sun Jul 12 16:30:33 UTC 2009

I'm trying to display Ubuntu applications via X11 (Xming) on a Windows virtual
machine. The application will display just fine under Xming except for all the
funds being significantly smaller. Text displays are usually a nine point font
and menu items/taskbar are similarly small.

I looked into this because I thought I needed some form of access to either
fonts or a font server on the Xming server side but apparently, modern X11
environments let the clients manage all fonts and hinting. The server does
nothing. If that's the case, why do I have such a tiny font displayed?

My test setup is:

Ubuntu 8.10 host
XP guest
Xming server
Putty for ssh tunneling
vmware workstation 6.5.2

At this point, somebody usually mentions VNC. I don't use it because it burns up
way too many cycles, responsiveness is poor, degrades speech recognition
accuracy, and, think about it for a moment. If the host os is running a vnc
server and the guest is running Vnc client, what am I going to see?  Yup, the
infinite hall of Windows.

I moved to Linux because it had the applications I needed. It was where my work
ended up. It just didn't have speech recognition so I tried to run with a
variety of virtual machines but either because of Windows stability problems or
cross boundary problems like this, I am about ready to give up and be an all
Windows shop just because I can't accommodate my disability in a Linux environment.

If I can solve this display problem then I can leave all my applications on
Linux and display everything on Windows. I won't be happy but, it won't suck
that much either.

If you feel the need to discuss limits and its lack of accessibility, e-mail me
directly. I don't want to clutter the list with unnecessary traffic.