Jaunty 64 bit firefox locks up my machine completely

Sean Carolan scarolan at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 21:59:02 UTC 2009

> Are you sure it is Firefox causing this, or has it just happened when
> you've happened to have Firefox running?

Each time it happens, it coincides immediately with the moment that I
load a new webpage in Firefox.  I suppose it could be a coincidence,
but it is a bit odd that I'm loading a link in Firefox every time it
happens.

> What kind of hardware do you have?  Do you happen to have a VIA chipset?

A dell quad-core Intel processor, with an nvidia graphics card and
desktop effects turned on.

> Are you using CPU power management?  Which version of Ubuntu?

No, I'm not using CPU power management.  The Ubuntu version, as I
mentioned in the original post, is 64 bit Jaunty Jackalope (9.04).

> You didn't give anyone much information to go on.

That's because I don't have much information to give.  When the system
locks up and there is no error message in the log files or kernel dump
file there's not a whole lot to give.

I had just hoped there might be some known bug with an easy
workaround....maybe that's not the case though.