Lost Grub

flavio seixas oivalf_nix at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 11 18:15:21 UTC 2009

Hi Ubuntu
users

I hope that someone can help me.

I have a PC
with 2 hard disks.

The main HD
is a SATA HD with 160GB running windows XP.
In the
machine setup it appears as THIRD IDE MASTER, and main boot option.

The second
one is a SCSII 60GB HD.
In the
machine setup it appears as PRIMARY IDE SLAVE

I Installed
Ubuntu 9 on the 60GB HD, but at finish when I restart the machine, the GRUB does not appear and, in
consequence, I am unnable to choice boot to the linux way, so, Windows runs
automatically.

During the
Ubuntu installation proccess, the question asking “were do you want to install
GRUB (or LILO)” did not appear.
In
consequence I do not know at least if the Grub (or Lilo) is installed or not. And
if is, in which HD????

It’s a strange thing!  All linux versions
that I knew until the moment has this question has default.

My question
is: What I do to install the GRUB (OR LILO) on main HD SATA, in a way that can
be possible to choose the boot for Linux or Windows????

Someone could help-me?

I am a beginner
at Linux and please, I´d appreciate if the answer could be like “for dummies”.

Thanks

flavio