Grub 18 Error

Wade Smart wadesmart at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 14:10:13 UTC 2009

I have another thread OS boot error that this follows.

I installed a 30GB drive that I had laying around. I know its good as
I have used it many times for backups.

I put it in my machine, ran 9.04 from the cd and everything went fine.

However, when I boot up I immediately receive:

GRUB Error 18.

>From the GNU manual I see that this means:

18 : Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by BIOS
    This error is returned when a read is attempted at a linear block
address beyond the end of the BIOS translated area. This generally
happens if your disk is larger than the BIOS can handle (512MB for
(E)IDE disks on older machines or larger than 8GB in general).

What does one do about that? I mean, this isnt the newest of hd's so
there is nothing out of the ordinary there.

Wade