NFS in nautilus

Fred Roller froller at tnclimited.com
Fri Jul 10 00:23:03 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-09 at 17:16 -0400, Keith Clark wrote:
> Why does my selecting a folder to share in Nautilus not allow for a
> selection or either Samba or NFS.  It defaults to Samba.
>
> Keith

NFS is not natively installed with Ubuntu.

froller at metis:~$ sudo apt-get install nfs
nfsboot            nfs-client         nfs-kernel-server  nfs-user-server
nfsbooted          nfs-common         nfs-server

These are your choices for setting up nfs.  Typically if I just wanted
to see and use the nfs drives from one of my CentOS servers then I just
load the nfs-common.  If I need to share out from an Ubuntu Server then
the nfs-server.  In all honesty I haven't worked with the others too
much so perhaps others can enlighten you as to their best use.  I have
found that I am getting further away from using nfs in favor of Samba.
In part because it is already there and I just need to configure the
directories and/or users and the share is done. (from cli)  The fewer
added software the less overhead.

--
Fred R.
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like Linux, simple.  If you are fighting it, you are doing
something wrong."