problem with hostname

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 9 20:01:27 UTC 2009

On 07/09/2009 12:32 PM, Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> Siggy Brentrup wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 11:50:02AM +0000, pkaplan1 at comcast.net wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> So, still, I'm stumped. My hostname is not being read following
>>> reboot, so I have to manually define it after each boot.
>>

> 	You have been given very bad information on this list.

And what bad information would that be Karl? He already had the same
hostname in /etc/hosts. He has the same hostname in /etc/hostname; yet
he is still getting: '<username>@(none):~$' which is the same one gets
if /etc/hostname is blank.

> I just decided
> to change my hostname to hardy on this Hardy computer. It was at the
> time karl-hardy.
>
> Step one. first cd to the /etc/ directory.
>
> Step two. Open a Terminal Window and write this: $ cat /etc/hostname and
> you should see your old hostname.
>
> Step three. In a Terminal Window write this: $ sudo gedit /etc/hostname

If you are going to do that, then use gksu.
$ gksu gedit /etc/hostname
using 'sudo' instead of 'gksu' for graphic applications is bad
information & has been discussed ad nauseum on this list.

> and replace the existing with the correct hostname you want. Save the
> new file.
>
> Step four. Now do this: $ sudo /etc/hosts

Try 'sudo /etc/hosts' and see where it gets you. Ten bucks says you'll
end up with:
sudo: /etc/hosts: command not found

Instead, try:

$ gksu gedit /etc/hosts

If you are going to claim others give bad information, try not giving
bad information yourself.

and you will see an old
> hostname listed with other things. Replace the old with the same
> hostname you put into /etc/hostname. Save the new file.
>
> 	Now your new hostname will keep working for as long as you please.

But it's not - that's his problem.