OT Chrome OS next year

Odd iodine at runbox.no
Thu Jul 9 11:46:49 UTC 2009

Mario Guenterberg wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 12:49:36PM +0200, Odd wrote:
>> Mario Guenterberg wrote:
>>> I don't think he's a clairvoyant, but he knows what he says and what
>>> he does. Another good example is the actually discussion about Mono
>>> and C#.
>>>
>>> I think Google, as worldwide operating multinational concern,
>>> follows his own targets and will dominate the entire market.
>>>
>>> This is, in my mind, the only challange for another Linux based OS,
>>> comming from Google.
>>>
>>> What to amuse me, is the fact, lets say in german, that all(most) running
>>> like the lemmings _hinter dem Rattenfaenger_...
>> Better Google dominating the market, rather than Microsoft.
>> Though I believe it will be a long time before Microsoft is
>> dethroned. Google at least is contributing resources and
>> code to the open source world.
>>

> If it's better, maybe, we will see ;-)
> Yes, Microsoft has assimilated :-) most of the consumer computer
> market, also the office area and will be doing all to save the
> division of markets.
>
> Google is contributing resources and code like IBM and some other
> big companies. They all doing it for saving or entering pieces from
> the cake not for charity.
>
> I don't think Goolge is a bad company, not much bad as others.
>
> The only thing that makes me contemplative is the willing of people
> to follow all of ouput from Goolge's Marketing. All the Ahs and Ohs,
> Goolge make this, Google make that. It's a hype about a company and
> it sounds like the golden 80's and beginning 90's for Microsoft.

I don't remember Microsoft being hailed or praised for their rather
crappy offerings in that timeframe. MS-DOS and Windows pre-W95
was the most popular, but not because their quality. There were
much better OSes at the time, such as AmigaOS. I used to cringe
when having to use MS software, being used to real preemptive
multitasking and a superior GUI since 1985. Now, Commodore
went belly-up but that was because those in charge made crappy
business decisions. Apple too made questionable business
decisions and lost out to MS. The world would be a much
different place today, if Commodore or Apple hadn't screwed
themselves so thoroughly back then.

MS didn't have a half-way decent end-user OS until W2K, when
they merged their NT codebase with the GUI from W95. The
result was at last an OS that didn't deserve universal derision.

As for Google, they seem to be the only real threat to MS
these days. That's why they are in the press a lot. Plus,
they make some clever stuff worth reporting about.

--
Odd